View Single Post

Garage
Global Warming = Future Turbo Porsches

Who can escape the Global Warming debate, but have you been following how itís impacting the future automotive industry?
Regardless of how you fall on mankindís blame in the process itís no longer disputed that the politicians have picked up on this being a perfect opportunity to advance personal, national and yes, for some, altruistic global agendas.
Several big changes, the EU is going big into legislating serious CO2 reductions to slow global warming (they will also see lower oil purchase driven national trade defects PLUS close their markets to super cheap small cars from China and India which will lag in the necessary technologies to sell there). What this means for Europe is serious engine displacement reductions across the board, probably turbos, probably direct injection, and probably variable cam timing. The largest German automotive suppliers are gearing up now. Seimens already big in injection is adding turbos to their product line. Mahle is also adding turbos, new small lightweight valves and small ultra light weight pistons. Guys what this says is every German engine maker is putting these combinations center stage. See itís not just us Americans, the Germans are moving back from their big displacement, multi-cylinder, gross HP, fuel guzzler excesses of late.
Now, add this situation to California suing in courts for the same Global Warming reasons and winning recent cases (plus US business and Washington are thinking of the above national advantages also). What we have here is a perfect storm to move Porsche back from their recent excesses to smaller, lighter, turbocharged sports cars and trucks (hey they sold them not me).
Porsche has all the technologies plus it really wasnít that long ago they built small, light, nimble, powerful and fuel efficient sports cars. Their trucks? Theyíll go through the hybrid stage then finally settle into one of the multitude of existing automotive diesel engines.
What of Japan? They seem to think weíll all be satisfied going around town in silent electric packages, battery powered or with tiny gasser-gen hybrids. Damn, if that is my future I hope I make my transition into the light FIRST.
Marty

Last edited by copbait73; 12-16-2007 at 07:06 AM..
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)