View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
glowing turbo headers

Started my car yesterday in the Michigan 20 degree weather to move the car out of the garage and let her warm up for a few minutes. The car never came down to a normal idle of 900-950rpm but stayed at about 1500rpm for 5-8 minutes.
My GSF headers that I installed last summer were actually glowing red at the collectors and leading up into the turbo exhaust housing. Is this normal or something to worry about, since I never noticed this while idling in the summer after the install.
There was no load on this engine at this time and the only thing that comes to mind on the cause is an overly rich mixture because of the cold weather here.
Any ideas, or is it the thin gage of the headers that have them running so hot that they glow red to the naked eye......I can imagine what they look like under boost and load.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 12-17-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)