Thread: boost bleed off
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
I did try this method early on - could not pressurise the system at all. But then subsequently, it seems my wastegate can was blowing straight to atmos - so may work now. I plumbed into the waste gate take off from the inter cooler - about a 3/8 " nipple.
Given the BOV is an integral in- line piece in the intake (pressurised ) system, will this still pick up any BOV internal leak - or are we talking external leaks. (I feel like a turbo head already - waste gates, BOV's , boost bleed...)
Will try again.
Alan
Hmm...as far as I remember, BOV dumps the pressure to hose that goes from CIS into turbos mouth. If you yank that hose off the turbo intake and pressurize the system from intake and upstream, presumed BOV leak will leak into CIS and hose leading into turbo (the one that you removed) so you should be able to hear it.

BOV dumps the pressurized air from intrmediate plenum into non-pressurized hose that turbo sucks air from, so it should work. You see the metal pipe in lower left corner going downwards to the turbo( It's connected to BOVexhaust with a short piece of rubber hose.)? That's pipe should be disconnected from CIS/BOV and pressurized. The open one is hose feeding pressurized ar back from the turbo (intercooler is removed on the pic).

With other words, you should disconnect the pipe from the rubber hose going into turbo intake (and we are talking compressor intake, the "center" of the turbo), jam a nippled disc into the hose whose other end is still connected to the turbo, tighten the clamp around the disc and pressurize everything from turbo intake upwards. Remember, this means that CIS, BOV "exhaust" and filter box are unpressurized.

Fredmeister: I'll take picture of the rig tommorow and post it in this thread.

Last edited by beepbeep; 12-17-2007 at 03:03 PM..
Old 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)