Thread: scary noise
View Single Post

[QUOTE=JFairman;3652032]How do you know the cold start injector is staying open after the car starts?
There's no visual on that, and the only test I can imagine is to check for voltage going to it.

Because intially it was not working at all. The car has had all sorts of issues. As I gradually eliminate one, I discover it was clouding another. The thing was a pig to start. So bad, I could not get it started initially when it came off the boat. Silly optimistic me left my self stranded at the port thinking I was going to drive it home. Had to come back next day and haul it on to trailer. Finally it would start after much cranking, on one cyl, then 2 then 3 .... until finally it fired up properly. It could take about a minute or two for this.
Eventually after fixing a bunch of other problems, I was still left with the pig starting process, and a very unhappy sounding starter motor (another job).
I pulled the injector out and put a meter across the coil. Had a continuous circuit. Put 12 v across the terminals and felt/heard nothing, except the coil heat up. Put some fuel in the top and pressurised it. Nothing came out. Put 12 v on it and gave it a wack, several in fact. It opened. Sticky piston. Worked it this way with various cleaning fluids until it generally freed up. Then back in car. Then engine loading with fuel. Pulled it again, put pressure on it with no voltage - injector stuck open. Since cut it open, found the sticky bit, and now it works freely.
The car may have forged pistons. Until I open the motor I really don't know what is inside. It has obviously had a lot of things done to it externally - all in the name of speed - EBC, plus some other electronic control I have not fathomed - a wire from a removed sensor at the exhaust to an elecronic box (japanese) plus a digital air temp monitor near the EBC, headers, heaps stripped off the engine - weight, non- standard distributor (more aggressive curve apparently), clock boost guage, after market shift light/memory recall tacho. So, what cams/pistons I have, I don't know. That may explain it. The noise is imperceptible when idling proper speed warm, but is there just as the faintest sound - when you stick your head over it. Stand next to it and you would not hear it. But the other day you would have heard it 20 feet away.
Alan
Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)