View Single Post

The 964 cams will make a significant difference just on their own, I think. Probably should use the recommended timing for them.

You could time SC cams where you asked, but camgrinder gives a specific timing for the 964 one - no leeway on it. As they're higher lift than SC, that might be a factor?

That said, interestingly, I note that the DC-15 (Super SC) and DC-19 cams he lists totally different timing for, despite the fact that the cam profiles are very similar, with the DC-19 having even more lift than the 964 (DC-15 has SC lift)...

I think you really need to talk to someone who knows.

I have SC cams from Camgrinder, timed @ 1.4mm IIRC - less hot than 964, nice and tractable off-boost. Both are quite a long way from stock 930: http://www.drcamshafts.com/911profilesprint.htm

IIRC, John (camgrinder) Doughery said elsewhere on Pelican that SC cams are identical to Carerra cams, and that the 993TT cams are pretty much exactly the same, modulo some ramps for the hydraulic tappets. Can't find that post now, but I did find the following looking for it:

In this thread 964 Cams On an SC or other HP upgrades, John said:

"Charlie,
The SC cams work very well with turbos.
A 964 cam has more overlap than the SC cam. It will work in a 930 with an upgraded turbo, but the low speed "off boost" performance can suffer"

and in this one [url]SC cams in 930 Turbo he said:

"The 964 cams would have less power off boost. The 964 cams will move the point where you build boost higher in the Rpm band verus the SC cams. They will also have more power on boost.
Porsche specs for the SC cam range from .9mm to 1.7mm depending on the year and model. 1.4 mm is a good number for a turbo. The higher the number (1.7) the further advanced the camshaft is.
The Sport-SC cams is more aggresive than the stock SC cam. It has more lift at top dead center. Thats why we specify 1.8-2.0 mm."
Old 12-18-2007, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)