View Single Post

Additional remote oil filter. Any suggestions?

I have a 1986 930 with a front mounted oil cooler. I am in the process of rebuilding due to a #3 rod bearing failure (#5/6 as well). At any rate I was asking my mechanic how he was going to ensure any metal particles that might have gotten into the oil cooler are flushed out. He indicated that he has some flushing equipment he uses for just this type of work. I don't know how the oil flows thru the engine so maybe the oil is filtered before it goes to the cooler?

Years ago when I was in the jet engine business. The manual for turbo props required you to throw away the oil cooler if a bearing failed. The manuf. positions was that it was impossible to guarantee that you got all of the metal out of the cooler by just flushing. We eventually started xraying them ($35) after flushing which ensured that we go rid of any bad metal particles. It also saved us from throwing away perfectly good $600 oil coolers.

Short of xraying my oil cooler, I was thinking of putting a secondary filter in line with the cooler. Any thoughts or suggestions or am I wasting my time?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)