View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2369488 View Post
I have a 1986 930 with a front mounted oil cooler. I am in the process of rebuilding due to a #3 rod bearing failure (#5/6 as well). At any rate I was asking my mechanic how he was going to ensure any metal particles that might have gotten into the oil cooler are flushed out. He indicated that he has some flushing equipment he uses for just this type of work. I don't know how the oil flows thru the engine so maybe the oil is filtered before it goes to the cooler?

Years ago when I was in the jet engine business. The manual for turbo props required you to throw away the oil cooler if a bearing failed. The manuf. positions was that it was impossible to guarantee that you got all of the metal out of the cooler by just flushing. We eventually started xraying them ($35) after flushing which ensured that we go rid of any bad metal particles. It also saved us from throwing away perfectly good $600 oil coolers.

Short of xraying my oil cooler, I was thinking of putting a secondary filter in line with the cooler. Any thoughts or suggestions or am I wasting my time?
Hi,
I don't have an answer for ya, but a observation or two. I see you live in Jet country! It would seem on a Jet engine that throwing away a $600 part would be cheap insurance.

However, on a car engine, a different deal altogether. Parts costs for these gadgets add up quick, especially if you succumb to the lets do some mods while we're in there philosophy! I've never had the problem you're looking at, but the problem gets bigger the more you think about it, when you consider all the oil lines having some bits here and there.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)