View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Boxxer, all metals are composed of crystalline arrays.
During fusion welding all metals require some sort of shielding from the atmosphere to eliminate the possibility of hydrogen or oxygen embrittlement (depending on the alloy it will be more susceptible to one or the other).
Even if the weld is not a full penetration weld, without shielding there is still the risk of embrittlement.
Not to start a fuss here but did you read my post? I know what you're saying is correct as I'm an AWS certified welder

In my post I was simply saying there was no reason for AMS to post about back purging being "one of their" welding processes like it was something they do special in their shop, as anyone who makes stainless headers properly MUST be back purging.......or welding the components in a complete sealed chamber like I do when welding most titanium parts of reasonable size(braces,bracket, etc). It's just a rule of thumb. At the absolute LEAST, on stainless you should use a solar flux B or BL compound if you cannot get a back purge setup.

964 T #304, also pending the alloy you should be adjusting the shielding gas for the purge yes. Titanium for example requires a good helium complex, or xenon, to get effective weld results but the latter is ruthlessly expensive and reserved for things like nuclear reactor components. Even helium is expensive these days and makes argon look like free air in comparison

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 12-18-2007 at 07:13 PM..
Old 12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)