View Single Post

My guess on the wood blocks (from most likely to least likely guess):

- Transfer weight of the vehicle from the tires to the wood blocks. Much like what one does for example when storing a vehicle over winter. Tires doe not like weight placed on them statically for prolonged periods. They develop flat spots and warped sidewalls when left static with weight over long periods. I have even heard this happening in some cases where the weight is simply tire and rim its on!

- Eliminate need to maintain tire pressure. Tires do leak air over time. The rate of leakage seems to be a function of tire make, model, year, and pressure. By putting the weight of the vehicle on the wood blocks, the tires will simply hold their shape and not require periodic pressure maintenance.

- Theft. With the tires not making true contact to the ground the vehicle is goind nowhere fast until the one or more of the wood blocks is removed. I say at least one because wasn't the 959 all wheel drive? Thus one tire making true contact would possibly be sufficient to move the vehicle off the remaining wood blocks. Perhaps this is enough to discourage all but the most motivated of car thief.

- Creates a question in search of an answer.....

Regards,
Carlton
Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)