View Single Post
Driver

Garage
My stock (other than a disconnected, but still present air pump and O2 sensor) '87 passed last week. I wasn't too worried about the emissions/sniffer part, as the car has passed smog in 2 other states while I've owned it. It's not as simple as pulling plugs to get the motor to run on less than its full complement of 6 cylinders, as that's something they checked during the test. But California also has a visual test. So, depending on the knowledge base of who you take your car to to get smogged, you may or may not have a hard time. The mechanic standing next to me (not doing the test--just shootin' the breeze about cars with me) noticed the disconnected smog pump pretty quickly, and mentioned it to me quietly. The guy doing the test didn't seem to find that problem; at least he made no mention of it, despite taking a flashlight into every crevice of the engine bay. (FWIW, a PO had disconnected the air pump--not me.)

In California, supposedly anything you change from OEM is not legal. Either on the intake side, or the exhaust. Whether or not it has anything to do with emissions. But, to be considered a legal part, it has to have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) sticker exempting it. I think that process must be quite tedious and expensive. Hence, it's pretty rare to find an aftermarket part that has a CARB exemption. Again, whether or not you're caught on that will depend upon the acuity of the guy doing the visual test.

I made an effort to go for a longish drive (about 30-45 minutes) prior to my test, to get the motor nice and hot. The one time I didn't pass smog (in Oregon), was due to a coldish motor. That time, I took the car back out, gave it a few full-throttle full-boost runs up and down a street in a local industrial district, and retested successfully.

Last edited by Noah930; 12-26-2007 at 09:45 AM..
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)