View Single Post

Garage
Bad thermo valve

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can confirm for me, that an 87 930 us model runs with a warm engine with strictly mechanical advance and no vacuum advance? On my car, the advance pot of the distributor connects to the brass thermo-valve and then to the tb. the retard side connects to an electrical valve then to the tb. My understanding is that on the retard side the electrical valve is closed on a cold engine blocking retard for a few seconds, then opens up and allows retard causing the idle to drop. On the advance side, my understanding is that the thermo valve is open allowing advance until the engine warms, at which time the valve closes, resulting in only mechanical advance. The problem that I have is that my thermo valve is defective and remains open regardless of temperature. Since this valve is hard to reach, I would like to simply plug the advance hose and vent the advance pot to atmosphere if vacuum advance is not used on a warm engine, rather than replacing the thermo-valve.

Thanks
Eric
87 US 930
Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)