View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
Thanks Goran, it's a Carrera 3.2, and was having second thoughts about using the stock heads/ port sizes. Looks i will go ahead with them as the car will mostly be street. BTW, my very cool girlfriend got me the IF2 video for Christmas.... great vid!! Are u in it anywhere?

I think Stephen at Imagine Auto is a big believer in seam welding the heads in his rebuilds... is it a big deal to get done?
Seam weld as in weld heds to jugs? Dunno, don't have any expirience with that. Factory used to do it on 4-valve watercooled race engines (beam welded) but it seems a tad too much for a street driven car, don't you think? It would solve leak issues though and maybe relieve some strain on the studs but such engine would be "fire and forget". Never saw welded 2-valve aircooled head though...

But as I said earlier, 930 vs. Carrera plastic heat deformation issue is maybe 20-30 degrees apart. Nothing big. As long as head temps are kept in check, I don't see the reason why Carrera heads wouldn't stand up to occasional stresses. If such car would expirience prolonged boost time, I believe overdriving the fan would be prudent thing to do. Also, CHT gauge would be a good thing (just like on old recip airplane engines). It saves the hassle with porting out 930 heads...

Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)