View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
"Since my rebuild using JB racing cylinders and JE pistons, I do not have smoke on start up because the piston, rings and cylinders do not have the same characteristics of the all aluminum stock Mahle stuff. This is kind of proven by the 1 quart used every 1500 miles or so."

It's probably the better rings you're using than the JE's and JB cylinders.

I have a BMW euro 3.5 liter engine in a '78 E21 323 chassis that I totally rebuilt 11 years ago using 10:1 JE forged pistons and the piston to cylinder wall clearance 90 degrees to the wrist pin near the lower part of the piston skirt is .003" when installed cold.
Thats a much bigger clearance cold than the stock cast Mahle pistons because they expand alot more. I know you already know that, and thats a water cooled inline 6, not an air cooled boxer 6 but I think it's the rings charecteristics that are sealing the oil out, not the different pistons and cylinders.

When I installed those JE pistons back in '96 they recommended and supplied regular street car Hastings moly rings. They said they had the best luck with them over all other piston rings.

What rings did you use?
I agree - the rings (or at least the ring selection) are what makes it work for me. But like anything else with these cars, I am using parts that are engineered to work together rather than trying to reinvent. I use a moly ring that JE recommends with sleeved cylinders.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)