View Single Post
After the next project

Garage
Smog

Well,

I appreciate all of your input. I started to get a chubby when Chuck was talking about the "25 year antique exempt" issue, but I knew it was too good to be true.

I will, like my brother said, change these parts out every two years to make sure that I pass, but it is worth it in the long run. My guess is it will be a hassel the first time... seeing how the car has 96k on it and has never come apart, but it will be easy every two years as it will not be froze up (using SS nuts, etc.) and I will be familiar with the process.

What's 4 hours and being able to assess if anything is wrong with your car. I would guess that the CHP has absolutely no idea what a new exhaust, turbo and intercooler look like if they were not stock. I could lie and say that they are oem products that have been polished... they wouldn't know the difference.

What I am most concerned with is the emission numbers that I was producing during the smog test. I have posted them below. I know what the letters and abreviations mean, I just can't interpret them other than to say the car is running rich, but it seems like it could be a host of different things that would make this happen other than just leaning the car out to fix.

Any input? The results are below.

Test
15mph, HC (PPM) was 147 (max is 116 and GP was 291), CO% was 3.40 (Max was .74 and GP was 2.24)

25mph, HC (PPM) was 66 (max was 91 and GP was 241(this was ok)), CO% was 1.12 (max was .62 and GP was 2.12)

GP = Gross Poluter Limits
PPM = Parts Per Million
HC = I think Hydro carbons
CO = Carbon Monoxide

Any takers on what could be causing this? Please only respond to this particular question if you have some knowledge on this issue. I am not looking to confuse myself anymore than I already am.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)