View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
Do you guys ever get down on the quality of the 911 or 930 engines?

At first glance it appears that these engines are a masterpiece but during my last valve adjustment I realised that they are in some ways inferior to other high performance engines.

1> These engines can not tolerate high boost as some Japanese counterparts can such as 3000GT or Supra TT.

2> They have a tendency to stretch or break head studs over time or hard use.

3> Compression leaks are fairly common on turbo cars if run hard as well.

Dont get me wrong, I think these 930's are great cars and I love mine but I have also grown to "see" the alternatives and the weak points of these cars.
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!
My have you dug yourself a hole!

Take a 930 and compare it to it's contemporaries in Performance and see how they stack up.

Make sure you look at the whole picture. The Braking ability of the 930 made a hell of a difference amongst it's competition.

I also am always amazed at how my car rides if I am moving at speed. I've had Corvettes and Trans Ams and am always amazed at how well a 930 handles the road irregularities compared to it's competition. I can run over a Volkswagen at 110 mph and barely feel it.

I'm not sure what a valve adjustment did to you, the 930 is like every other valve adjustment I've done.

There have been some Head stud issues, Porsche is guilty as charged here. Some Jap Engines have had their issues as well, such as the Datsun 240, 260, 280Z's propensity to have head gasket failures at cylinder 3:4.

The Japanese are awesome at learning what you do well, copying your design, figuring out your weaknesses, and improving the design to compensate for those weaknesses. Look what they have done with Lexus, Nissan, and Toyota.

The problem, they haven't had a ton of original thought.

What have they not been able to copy? The feeling of driving a Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari, or Lamborghini. The sounds, the smell, and the feel.

I'm not saying Porsche is perfect, they are a small company. That has it's plusses and minuses. They are also German, that has it's Plusses and Minuses as well.

Let me ask you this, are you thinking about buying a Subaru, a Mitsubishi, a Toyota?

"Porsche, there is no substitute" Joel Goodson ca. 1983

The rest of that JAP crap is Interchangeable.

I just spent the better part of a day getting some custom Zork work done on my 930. While I was there, I noticed a Nissan Altima with a 4" ID SS Muffler sticking out the back. I'm going back next week, let me know if you are interested in it, and I'll hook you up!

If you don't know why you bought a Porsche, Quick, sell your car, you will only be unhappier from this point on. Toyota, Honda, Subaru, and Mitsubishi are beckoning and are starting to enter your sleep cycles.

When you figure all this out, call Jay Leno and tell him to get rid of those freakin' Dusenberg's too for the same reason!!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)