View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
Great cars I they are probably some of the best engineered, constructed, and performing cars of all time.

I am simply stating, without hopefully creating too much steam, is that they have some weakpoints which one must take as part of the package.
Very true. And the reason is that they are researching and developing at the same time. In the early 70's, they spared no expense to get the newest technology on the road each year. That is where the 1976 930 came from.

Porsche began the trend of upgrading their cars constantly, such that even cars in the same year might have different parts. This is something that companies like Toyota do today. The Japanese are famous for upgrading all the little things on the car each year.

The unfortunate side effect is often that some parts are hard to come by, and some technologies, like CIS or air pumps, have not aged very gracefully.

I don't believe that we would have a new, light weight modern Vette like the Z06 without the competition from the Porsches. 911 turbos have always been the benchmark for almost every single other sport car in the industry.

So somebody has to take the lead, and Porsche has been doing that for a long time. And not everything they did was their finest moment, but they forced the benchmark on all the other manufacturers, and fans of any sport car manufacturer have benefitted from the competition.

Of course, I also believe that Porsche has lost their way recently, but that is for another thread...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)