View Single Post

Phantoms Phorever!

Unfortunately, they retired the last of the G model (Wild Weasel) and Recce model (RF-4Cs) when I was a freshman in High School. The Indiana guard was one of the last units to fly the Air Defense versions (E's) and those were always my favorite. For a while the German's were flying F variants (with F-18 radars, if you can believe that...) out of Holloman in NM, but they've closed up shop since then.

There was certainly no other plane like them - it was literally the jet that made me want to fly. You guys are correct in that they are still used as drones. It's very sad. The Collings Foundation (http://www.collingsfoundation.org/tx_f-4dphantom.htm) still operates a D model that you can book for airshows, and the boys over at Tyndall (the drone Sq) fly around an E in SWA markings for the same purpose. There's also a great "Spooks of the World" picture I've had for a while - attached 'er below.

Erik, I thought I had shot you a PM when I picked 'er up! I'm sorry we never had a chance to meet up in Dayton; I wound up only being there one more time before we moved down to FL, and even that trip was cut short - we sold the house 3 weeks after listing it (back in August), so we were pretty lucky. We still have our immediate family in the Richmond, IN area - so next time we make it back, I'll try to give you a call and run over to see that great white beast of yours

Mine is black on black, LSD, Sport seats, 30k (so twice your mileage, I did the best I could, LOL!) I picked it up from the third owner in Charlotte, NC. First guy was the owner of the dealership there in town, and he lost it to his wife in the divorce (second owner). Ouch. It's probably a solid #2+ car overall - little things that I know are wrong with it, but it's still a lot of fun to have around! Definitely my dream car.

Sorry to hijack the thread, BTW - back to the job descriptions at hand!

Micah

P.S. Thanks for your service, Pat. Do you have any good Phantom bites? The best ones were from the hydro guys... those inner main gear doors. Yikes.

Last edited by micah; 01-01-2008 at 02:27 PM..
Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)