View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
GHL. In their defense though, I had my ignition timing off and it was retarded. The headers were starting to glow, something probably got hot and fell off inside. Because I was just cruising, I didn't think about it until later and re-set the timing when all was back together.

Hard to believe I can rebuild the engine and screw up the ignition timing...
I'll submit this respectfully here. If you read Wayne Dempsey's book, he explains that the first few Oil dumps will look like you are panning for gold if you look at the oil carefully. He's right. It goes on for a few hundred miles. I'm sure lots of it is off the rings. There are lots a metal fragments for the first 4 or 5 oil changes if you do it like Wayne suggests. Whether this targets the turbo for attack more than anything else is I'm sure where this discussion stemmed from.

Moral to the story, look at your first 4 oil dumps and you'll be a little queasy.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)