View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
I think American auto companies can make the finest cars in the world…IF they choose to.
With that said, Detroit has conditioned the US population into thinking they need to buy a new auto every 4 years.

So 4 x 12k/year = 48k miles and the cars are scrape at this point!
Sure there are freaks of nature US cars that can make it to many miles past this, but the point is, why should Detroit make them last any longer than 50K miles??

The last US car I owned was a Ford Taurus Wagon in 91, at 49k miles it left me stranded atop the Grapevine with a scattered tranny.
I will never forget the mech at Valencia where the car was towed to when he said “Jeez, your at 50k pal” huh...WTF

Sorry to say this, I quit buying US iron at that point when I couldn’t get a transmission to last past 50k miles, this includes (Chevy, Ford and Buick)
My son’s 99 Honda Accord V6 has 198k miles with only an alternator change on it!

One exception I will make is Ford trucks, they are tuff SOB’s
Exactly,
I put 40K in my first year on my Toyota. That was a banner year. It has 112K on it now, and I can't tell any difference from the day I bought it 6 years ago. It doesn't squeak, rattle, or do anything else that would suggest it is not new.

What have I done?

Changed the oil every 3-5K w/Mobil 1

Front and rear brake pads and rotors that were turned.

Transmission oil change at 60K

Plugs at 80K

Hmm, I don't think I ever changed the air filter. Looks like a huge project for this weekend!

Ohh, and I bought some fuel for it! If they could only fix that problem!!

I am planning the Timing belt change.

I've had other Toy's that did the same thing. Enough to call it a trend between me and my wife. They just work. What American cars do this type of Duty? Does my Toy have the "SOUL" of a Porsche, NO WAY!

I would have a Z06 though! I could park it next to my 930 and sneak in late at night and watch them snarl at each other!

Ohh, and THEY ARE COMING AFTER THE FORD AND CHEVY TRUCK MARKET.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)