View Single Post

73T - Bilstein Strut Rebuild

I finally got round to 'starting' on my front bilstein strut / insert refurb - spurred on by Hot66 on DDK and his Boge / Bilstein write-up.

I acquired these as part of a complete front suspension, the A-Arms of which have gone to Bert for his Targa rebuild project, and the alloy crossmember of which will be put on to my 73T.

My plan is to strip, repaint, revalve and assemble ready for installation.

Paul at Tuthills has advised on the 'custom' revalve, in line with my needs for a fast road setup, capable of real world use over 'B' roads as well as taking in the occasional Track Day. We settled on what I will refer to as Tarmac Rally specs.

Here is the start point, complete with years of dirt accumalation etc.

The strip down was somewhat of a challenge, given my poorly equipped garage and the need to securely retain the camber plate whilst attempting to remove the top retaining nut. A rather Heath Robinson affair involving a workbench and green washing line eventually secured the camber plate whilst the nut was removed.

I will keep hold of the camber plate and nut etc. until I can choose the better of the two from it and the original on the car when that is removed.

Next came the removal of the pin that retains the insert in the strut housing. This involved an amount of WD40 / PlusGas and then a large punch and big hammer - job done but the pins will be replaced.

Question 1 - where do I get new pins from ?

The inserts can then be pulled out, leaving behind what appears to be two bands of white grease inside the housing. The insert rubbers had white grease residue on them also - apology for the awful photo.

Question 2 - should this grease be here, and do I need to renew any internal seals or grease ?

I have packed the inserts and rubbers in newspaper and will get them over to Tuthills for revalving.

The strut body was then given a thorough scrub and is ready for painting.

Question 3 - can they be powder coated (along with the dust covers), as the heating / baking may affect the internal rubber seals and grease etc. If not, should they be simply sprayed - I say simply, which means not by me :-)

Question 4 - they are date stamped as August 1981, so from an SC with 3.5" brake caliper mounting hole distance. I assume these are a straight bolt on to my 73T, but will I need a different hub or anything to match them ?

I will reassemble and post final picture here when done.

1992 964 C2 Manual with RS Suspension etc.
1973 911T Narrow body Hot Rod with 2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period modsl - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe Sport with Stainless Silencer and SW Chip (256 fwbhp) - SOLD
Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)