Thread: Rear End Howl
View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
You may want to try this but be very careful. VERY DANGEROUS>
I had a similiar problem last summer which turned out to be my rear tire. Delaminated and only showed noise at higher speeds.
Anyway, chock the front wheels and jack the car way up in the air with jackstands under the torsion bar support points. Once the rear wheels are off the ground with at least 1 inch clearance. Sart and run the car in first and second gears. You should be able to hear the howling noise. Now once it is running , it will idle along in any gear you leave it in, you can crawl under the car and pinpoint where the noise is coming from, tranny, cv joints, flywheel, etc.
This is how I found the rear tire bad.
Good luck, but it sounds like a tranny issue from your description.
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)