Thread: Clutch going?
View Single Post

Clutch going?

I think my 35 year old clutch might finally be on its deathbed. Out of the blue the other night I had a nasty gear grinding episode while driving around trying to find a parking place in downtown Reno. Now my clutch (I think) is behaving eractically.

Sometimes it seems normal, but after I drive for awhile something slips when starting from a stand still, and makes an awful noise that I've never heard before. It's quite different from the standard grinding noise that happens that happens occasionally when trying to get into first gear. The noise sounds kind of like a hand saw going through a piece of plywood. It's worst under the most stress, as when starting up a hill. Once it engages everything seems fine.

This seems pretty cut and dry, but any comments would be appreciated. How big a can of worms is replacing the clutch? I've driven this car into the ground. It's been my snowmobile, my truck, etc. I'm waiting for it to disintegrate into a pile of rust, but it won't stop running! The motor's really stong.

By the way, I checked my gear oil, which leaks, and it was quite low. But filling it didn't seem to help...if that has anything to do with anything.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)