Thread: Clutch going?
View Single Post
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Clutch replacement is relatively easy, at least compared to many other cars.

You can remove the trans without removing the engine, and now I am a believer that this is the easier way to go. You will have to remove the muffler to do this, but that's hopefully not a big deal. Rusty bolts are the worst part of that, and you can get at both ends of the bolts...

Remember that the one starter bolt is removed by removing the nut from the engine bay side! (You'll understand that when you come to that part. ) Also remember to loosen up the engine mounting bolts so the engine can pivot down without tearing the rubber mounts, and support the rear of the engine with something solid (like a jack stand).

Lining the trans up on installation can be a challenge. Took a couple of tries for me to do it, plus I had to rotate the input shaft to get it to slide into the clutch disk nicely.

My torque wrenches don't fit the transmission-to-engine bolts, so I had to torque those by guess.

It's easier if you are strong enough to bench-press the trans (~75 lbs), but it's still not bad even if you're using a jack for support.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)