View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Wonder if anyone has 2 turbos on a CIS engine.........seriously.
Are you asking on a project basis? I installed twin Garrett T25s on a '81SC motor going on 20 years ago. I'm sure there have been tens of twin turbo Porsche installations over the years and Brian is working on his interpretation right now. My first recollection of a single turbo 911 engine wasn't from Porsche. It was homegrown Corvair setup adapted to a 911, probably in the late 60's. A guy just like many on this forum.

Regarding how many is logical, that becomes a discussion of costs, benefits and compromises for goals. One turbo per Porsche engine was convention for many many years. When I did twins it was considered illogical for the street. For you young guys I assure you twins were debated as nonsensical until they were more recently accepted to have benefits offsetting the costs and complications. Now twin is also a "convention", even considered a premium feature by some - not so much others.

I'm not saying we are close to having small turbo efficiencies to support one turbo per cylinder nor that that extreme will ever meet desired goals but we match at 200HP per turbo (typical today with good efficiency). It's not too much of a stretch to consider 3 turbos for a free breathing, responsive motor of planned 600 PLUS HP.

Last edited by copbait73; 01-16-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old 01-16-2008, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)