View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
Les,

Yes, you can. But it's best if you have a historical baseline measurement for uninstalled and installed length when they were new, so you can be sure there's been no deformation or yielding. They're meant to be re-usable, unlike factory rod bolts, but that doesn't mean that it would be a good idea to reuse bolts that have an unknown history.

They also have very specific instructions about torque and stretch procedures, as you probably know. I have reused mine, and torqued them a number of times to do clearance checks and such.

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this in the Pelican Engine Rebuilding Forum. I suggest you do a search.

Rob
Hi,
I did not measure stretch. I just torques them to spec as per the instructions that ARP supplied. I may not have to mess with them. I was just wondering and heard someone say no matter what arp says, don't re-use them.

If you use stock bolts to check clearances, do you replace them with fresh stock bolts for the build?

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)