View Single Post

Les,

There are many people who have reused ARP rod bolts. I've never heard of a problem, but then again, I might not have. Anyone who says "don't reuse them, no matter what ARP says" is acting on fear, not logic or data. In fact, the ARP instructions tell you you must torque them several times *before* you use them in final form. I believe this is to burnish and settle the threads so you have a reliable clamping force, but to be sure, you should talk to them. There may be a danger in reuse is if you don't have any information about their prior condition (and they've been damaged somehow). But again, you're likely to be fine.

I found (and others have found) that the using the torque wrench tends to "understretch" the bolts slightly, as compared with the stretch measurement method. To my knowledge, this isn't a serious problem, because the vast majority of people have had good performance from using just a torque wrench. Again, do a search and you'll find more about this.

If you use stock bolts, which are designed only be torqued once, then you should do all your fitment and testing with the old bolts that you don't intend to use again.

Rob
Old 01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)