View Single Post
It's a 914 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
Just curious, how did the factory make it's magnesium cases last on the '74 2.1 RSR turbo? They ran 1+ bar of boost and 450 hp with a magnesium case in every race except for Lemans where they used an Aluminum case. Did they replace them every race or something?

The factory did indeed race a 2.1 turbo in '74 with some success. Reliability was not a real strong point on those engines from what I've read. Also, though they were high-output turbos, they were only 2.1L (so, short stroke and small bore, both of which are a lot easier on a mag case than any 2.7).

A 2.7 turbo could be made to work if built correctly. The best way would be to use an aluminum case, or you could timesert the head studs and shuffle pin your mag case. I don't think there is a low-cost, reliable solution. A 3.0L might be a much better candidate ...

I think I just saw a 2.7L turbo kit in the Pelican classifieds if you're interested ...

Scott
Old 01-20-2008, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)