View Single Post
Driver

Garage
I got through smog last month. My car is stock (as far as I know, though the boost gauge pegs out at 1.0 bar, I've noticed). Nevertheless, headers, cat, and muffler are stock. Motor's never been open, again, as far as I know. 80K miles.

California has 2 parts to its smog certification. One is the actual emissions part. My smog pump is disconnected (though it's still there), and the car passed the sniffer part of the test, as it has in the two other states I've lived in, as well. But California also has a visual test, where the mechanic doing the exam looks at the engine bay to see if everything's OEM. Somehow, he must have missed the fact that the pump wasn't connected. It wasn't for lack of effort on his part, though, as he spent a good 10 minutes looking all over the place with a flashlight. The other mech standing next to me and shooting the breeze noticed it and quietly mentioned it to me. So whether you get called on the air pump issue will depend on luck of the draw.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)