View Single Post

The $20k alignment machine vs. a string alignment issue always cracks me up a bit.

My 68 yr. old very tech freindly dad helped me build our pool a couple of years ago. Because I didn't want the water 2" from the coping on one end and 4" on the other, I used a water level (garden hose and 2 clear tubes at the ends). I didn't trust my 25 Euro laser's bubble level over a distance of 40'. After we had our measurements, my dad got the laser level out and remeasured "just to be sure".

This is my problem with the inexpensive lasers, tho. You're relying on rather innacurate bubble levels to level the light beam - the weak link in this system. Compare the bubble levels in a good carpenter's level to a cheapo and you'll immediately see the difference. Unless this is taken car of, I'd put more faith in lower tech strings. That being said, I really like the vertical laser lines idea.

As far as accuracy goes, you don't need 100th's if you're measuring along the wheelbase of the car - tenth's is fine so multiplying the wheelbase with smoke and mirrors is not really an advantage.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)