View Single Post
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Really glad I read this thread. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences here. I always like hearing "what they all do" type things about any of my cars.

Keep up the good forum work gents!

I'm going to do a search at some point as I approach my first oil change in the thing regarding brand and viscosity. I *KNOW* I'll be opening up a ginormous can 'o worms if I dare asked, both in "see the archives" and in "100000000000 different right answers" heh heh.

For now I planned on using what I used in my (22psi turbo'd) //S6 and now my Alumibeoch, Shell Rotella 5W40. I know, most know Rotella as diesel oil.

Any thoughts here before I search the archives and /or dare post up that's what I use and am seeking suggestions in a new thread? Heh heh.

Tx in advance guys! I keep saying this, great comradarie here, pleasantly surprised I wasn't sure what to expect...
Knock yourself out - be sure to make a couple of sandwhiches, and pour a stiff drink...several beers will suffice:
Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils
Good info here:
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

I experimented with "diesel oils" in my rebuilt 930 engine; ran Rotella T 5W-40 synth and the 15W-40 dino. Also tried the Delvac equivalents. I had decent results (good warm up times and cool operating temps), although I felt that my consumption increased with the 5W-40. I did not have the oil analyzed for empirical data. However, as the above threads will show, the formulas have changed with some of these "diesel" oils, and as such, may lack sufficient levels of "ZDP" for an air/oil cooled engine. My 930 is a daily driver and I just can't justify the high cost Mobil One, RedLine, Amsoil, etc. being that I change the oil regularly.

I have had excellent results with Brad Penn 20W-50 and it's the only oil that I now run in my 930. YMMV
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 01-25-2008 at 07:16 AM..
Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)