View Single Post

I hope I'm not changing the subject too much with this question:

I'm doing a coilover conversion on my 930, but this thread presented a configuration I did not think of, namely retaining my stock torsion bars, but have helper springs. I was planning on just eliminating the torsion bars and running 300/400 springs. I've searched and read the other threads on the need or lack of need for welding in reinforcements, seems inconclusive. But leaving the original T-bars in would take some of the forces off the shock mounts, right? What helper spring rate would equal the 400 in the rear? Is the only benefit of taking the Tbars out that of weight savings? I will have the shocks revalved no matter what, and I assume that revalving for 400lbs would be the same for t-bar+helper vs. spring only?

Regarding the front, I have not read anything about problems with needing reinforcements. I will be installing a strut brace. Any thoughts on the front?

Regarding intended use and the car: it's a '79 w/ a '91 C2T, GHL muffler and Andial dial a death. I don't know what turbo I have (shamefully admitted. Previous owner has it wrapped in heat shield, and I haven't looked). Will mostly see local driving (est 1-2k miles/year), 1-2 autocrosses, and 1-2 DE's per year (driven to and from the tracks).

Thanks for any thoughts!
former Tony//Kart shifterkart owner
Old 01-26-2008, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)