View Single Post

91 turbo current drain

Hello all, I'm a long time reader, first time posting. I'm working on a 91 turbo that has had a 3.6 engine installed. It has a constant 220 milliamp parasitic drain on the battery. It initially spikes to 800 milliamp for less than a second then levels off at 220. Obviously, this kills the battery within a few days. I've checked many things and am starting to pull my hair out. I've unplugged the tachometer as I've seen the on-board computer cause a drain before on a real 3.6 turbo but that's not it on this one. The car has been modified quite a bit:
It has a built 3.6, w many goodies that are mostly unimportant. It does have a twin-plug ignition by electromotive that was a pain to make work in this setup. I basically ran a straight signal wire to the tach from the new ignition, eliminating one of the control units under the seat that basically turned the fuel pumps on and processed the tach signal from the "mercedes type" ignition. The oxygen sensor (jetronic control unit) and the other smaller "enrichment" control unit are still in place and funtion normally. The biggest tradeoff was that the fuel pumps runs whenever the Ignition is on.(the overboost switch still works though)I performed these mods several years ago and the car has run great ever since, other than the occasional electromotive crank sensor failure. I've disconnected all the previous mentioned "wiring" and it has no effect. I've also unplugged any other aftermarket accesories (radio, etc) to no avail.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I'm starting to get frustrated with this one...
Thanks much
Old 01-26-2008, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)