View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboteener View Post
You can hear an engine detonating. Where did you get anything about a specific AFR? Who the hell runs a turbo street engine with borderline combustion chamber design at 13:1 under boost? Do that and you will surely blow every motor you tune.

I'm sorry you can hear detonation, how do you think you keep from blowing an engine up? If you can't hear it maybe you shouldn't be tuning engines. I don't need fancy knock sensors, just a set of det cans. Your ear can react faster than any electronic device, especially when you don't have the proper "tuning frequency". No you can't just take a random knock sensor and expect the right frequency to save your engine. Unless you are using pressure transducer spark plugs there is no way other than listening to an engine on the dyno.

In addition to that the driver has to understand that beating on an engine will surely lead to a short life. When you turbo charge an engine that has never been designed as a turbo engine, you have to take special precautions when driving said vehicle to keep it alive under an number of fatal circumstances. (Have you ever turbocharged a non turbo vehicle before, if not please butt out).

Turbo engines have a much more linear pressure rise in the combustion chamber than do NA engines. You will have not have to turn as many RPMs with a turbo engine if you so choose. If you tune it properly with a digital fuel injection unit (capable of controlling ignition curves, Not CIS or MS) you can be successful at this.

Back to the worst case scenario, what's the worst that could happen, you burn a piston? Big deal. Buy some more cylinders. 2.7 parts are easy enough to find. Maybe you blow a head gasket (if you do them). Again so what? This is not your daily driver, you won't have to walk to work. Who cares if you grenade an engine in the pursuit of learning? Its just an engine. Build another one. There are only ten million of them out there.

So what? I know a kid that put a junkyard turbo on Honda and ran the stock FI? Yep it blew up in a week. Again, Point? I also happen to know a guy that runs 10psi+ on a 11.5:1 Honda engine everyday, plus runs timetrials and drivers ed events. Yep it's living a successful life two years later.

Any monkey can blow up an engine through abuse or improper tuning. Big deal. It takes a careful person to build a turbo engine that was not designed that way from the factory and make it live. You can do it and I bet you could run 15psi before you have problems. Just don't use CIS.

Still gonna stand in my agreement with afterburn, copbait, etc. Build it, blow it up, or make it live. Why not? WHAT"S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN?
You have more than amply illustrated how little you know about Porsche engines. They don't "Rattle". If you wait to hear that, you're gonna toast it. It ain't a Chevy, Ford, Toy, Honda, or Nissan Either.

Knock sensors don't work either.

I wouldn't let anybody touch anything of mine that had an attitude of, "Just get yourself some more pistons cylinders, oil pump, and clean the shards of Aluminum out of your engine and you'll be OK. Turn your crank while you're at it.

I might have your attitude if I were independently wealthy like you. I'm not. Pistons, Cylinders, Rods, Cranks, cases, they all seem expensive to me. I might be a little more Cavalier if I were hot rodding, Chevy's, Toyota's, Honda's, etc.

I know of no reputable Porsche Tuner that has an attitude like yours.

What's the worse that can happen?

You hole a Piston, Mangle a head and Cylinder, throw Aluminum into the lower end, taking out a $1000 oil pump and contaminating all your lubrication system that has to be torn down and sterilized for Aluminum. Scratch up a Crank, blow Aluminum into all the oil galleries. Do you even know what a Gasket set costs for a Porsche?

What's the worst that can happen? You wish you had bought a Freaking Boat, that's what!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)