View Single Post

Garage
Mig

MIG welding actually can "look" pretty good and be more than sufficient in peneteration and strength. I have had a TIG set up for years and, as an amateur weekend welder, like it a great deal. Recently bought Lincoln 175 MIG wire welder for a more convenient machine in awkward situations and
set-up work and the welds looked terrible. A dog could have done better even without opposable thumbs. So I took a couple of welding attempts/parts to the local Miller welding equipment store and asked "What am I doing wrong?" The answers were simple, adjustments made and I now am happy with the results. All this said I believe that with minimal guidance and practice anyone, even a Frenchman, could weld very very nicely, be proud of their effort and have a strong reliable weld. Leave the body grinder out of the equation for if you need to use it something is seriously wrong. Take a trip to the welding store and get enlightenment from a professional. Stay away from the Chinese junk and buy American. My 18 cents worth. EPS - Tucson
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 01-30-2008, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)