Thread: New type of BOV
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Hmm...Garrett's antisuge channels actually portrude to compressor blades. Turbonetics mumbojumbed intake looks like nothing else but few holes not actually connecting anything?

Frankly, I'm quite skeptic when it comes to aftermarket modifications of turbochargers. There are heaps of shops claiming to "improve" turbochargers but they cannot prove anything. No maps, no nothing. Turbocharger test rigs cost millions of dollars and these guys only machine a couple of grooves and claim it's "a black art". Clipping wings is probably the worst "improvement". It buggers up the efficiency but pushes the surge line somewhat...

So true when it come to this aftermarket stuff. I don't trust much outside KKK, Turbonetics, and Garrett. Maybe Holsets on diesels. I know the Garrett and turbonetics stuff works very well in properly matched applications.

At the base of each one of Garretts four surge slots in the intake are ports that lead to an undetermined area located in the area of the inducer intake, just behind the actual leading edge of the buckets. I have no idea how big these ports are, but that's where the back flow comes from.

On turbonetics design, each one of those machined "flutes" in the tapered inlet has its own little port at it's base that leads to a similar location on the backside of the inducer. I've worked with the GTK series alot here and if you take off the compressor housing and look down the inlet you will see a matching number of small holes around the inside perimeter of the intake bore. You can't see them with the compressor in the way. Probably just a different design to get around a specific patent or two.

I always wondered what the mapping machines looked like. I have a VSR balancing machine and flow bench here that I've used in the past when I used to rebuild turbos day in and out but they're probably a far cry from what the big companies use to get their results and map plots
Old 01-31-2008, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)