View Single Post

I agree w/ WydRyd, any cars running that much compression with boost are much newer, advanced EFI systems, some are even using direct injection. You will surely have trouble with detonation i'm afraid. Even if you manage it well at first, with a fresh engine, as soon as you start to get carbon buildup, which you will when those valve guides get a taste of the extra heat that comes with boost, things will change. I'm currently experiencing detonation with a RUF RCT engine in a '94 RS America. A friend of mine bought one from an older gentleman in Illinois and it has terrible detonation at random times. Mostly at the torque peak, with some heat in the motor. It also consumes a fair amount of oil which is most likely taking up permanent residence in a new form in various parts of the combustion chamber. We've tried various fuel cleaners and it actually seems to amplify the problem. I guess they "soften" up the carbon and make more little "glow plugs"?? It has 70K miles on 94 valve guides and only runs .77bar with 8.5/1 and still makes at least 385hp-actually 365 to the wheels on a dynojet recently (it took 11 pulls to start detonating, AFR stayed perfect) BTW It has twin knock sensors w/ RUF EFI Just my $.02 good luck!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)