Thread: New type of BOV
View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
I always wondered what the mapping machines looked like. I have a VSR balancing machine and flow bench here that I've used in the past when I used to rebuild turbos day in and out but they're probably a far cry from what the big companies use to get their results and map plots
What you see in it's various forms are just pressure bleed off. As you know surge is a condition where the pressure downstream of the entire compressor stage cannot be held and reverses flow. Well this can happen within the flow path of the wheel also. Most often in the inducer area. What you see on Garrett turbos is productionized. It's a very common feature on modern turbos using W/G or VNT.

Turbonetics interpretation is obviously not for high volume. Since Garrett's specialized, cost is no barrier, motorsports turbos do not incorporate this exotic configuration I assume there is no improvement unique to it...but maybe there is(?).

The test stands are gas fired burners with instrumentation. You could find a burner liner from a surplus gas turbine engine and make your own. Your real challenge is the very high volume of compressed air needed. A surplus jet-start unit could be adapted. Once you get running you could feed the turbo compressor back into the burner inlet and shut off the external compressor.....a jet engine.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)