View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Nice write up.
Those ball jointed elephant feet pads on the adjuster screws will pitch sideways a little bit when trying to slide the special feeler gauge in there and make it annoying... takes patience and I usually run out of that while contorting myself in the process and decide it's quicker and easier to just loosen the things and readjust them too.

When taking the time to get the feeler gauge blade in there and check them I've found both the intake and exhaust clearences get larger with mileage so I set them on the snug side of .004" now.

I've never tried the backside method. Maybe someday.
Hello,
Interesting that you note that your clearances get larger. I'm puzzled what would cause that? I was always under the impression that valves get tighter because of seat wear and get quieter.

Backside is the way to go. I'll never do it the traditional way.

Sand_Man, I have just one small suggestion. I went down and bought a new set of feeler gauges for this. I took out the two feelers .0025 and .003. On the .0025 I put a white zip tie, and on the .003 I put a Red Zip Tie. This way I could look at them and easily tell them apart very quickly. Mine eyes are getting older!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-01-2008, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)