View Single Post
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO View Post
I have had three water cooled VWs; two Golfs and a Jetta Tdi. The only one that was decent was the '86 Golf. The other two were in the shop 4 to 6 times a year. The Tdi was the worst in that it stranded my wife and me with our three kids on a busy road, on a blind curve. We nearly got hit by multiple RVs until a good Samaritan pulled us to a turnout. The car suffered from multiple glow plug failures, MAF sensor failures (two), wiring harness failures, window lifts, interior fell apart (literally the headliner and other trim bits just fell down). The only good I ca say is it got good mileage (circa 50 mpg) when it was running.

VWs have the worst reliability according to Consumer Reports. I recommend that you avoid them until they can fix their issues.

Troy
This what I've generally read online about newer VWs. What year was the TDI? Of course I want to hear someone tell me that they've gotten better recently, 'cause I really want to buy one. FWIW, my Mom has had 3 New Beetles since they came out w/o any major QC issues that I am aware of, but she trades them in w/o a lot of miles to get the newer/fancier one.

Luke, that LR Discovery is one of the least efficient vehicles ever sold in modern times in terms of dollars spent on fuel+maintainence versus what it returns in performance or cargo volume. Good off-road capabilities, (which 99+% of owners never use), but they burn fuel like a moving van.

The Prius is not a great OTR vehicle, (diesel is better and I like roadtrips), but as an around-town or commuter vehicle they are hard to beat, IMO. You will absolutely be driving the opposite of the Discovery, a super-efficient, cool modern technology car w/ TONS of room inside that returns arguably the most cool-factor and performance from a gallon of gas on the road. They've been selling them long enough w/ millions of miles travelled to ascertain their great QC and typical Toyota durability, and factoring in resale it is probably the cheapest new car in the world to own, at least among anything I'd actually drive.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)