View Single Post
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hello,
Valve adjustment is a learned skill no doubt. All these methods work perfect if done correctly. The backside method makes it where you arrive at perfection quicker and with less frustration.

DonE, I didn't have to bend my feeler gauges, so I'm not sure I understand what you ran up against. I use straight, "standard" sized feelers. I stick the .0025 in there and leave it. I turn down the adjustment until I feel the adjuster "touch". I tighten about a third holding with a large stubby screwdriver. I check the feel of the .0025 feeler. If It's caught, I loosen up a little. I always watch the "clock" angle of the adjusting screw to help me determine how far to move the screw. When the .0025 is a tight drag, I pull it out and make sure I can work it back in. It should go in the gap, but be a little difficult to get in. If it is not tight going in, your lash is too loose. I check with the .003 to make sure it it is the "slightest" amount of loose. If I get a good tight drag, the .003 has no way of going in. This is the easiest and most accurate valve adjustment I have ever done on Porsche's....

...The backside method, at least to me has the advantage of being easy, repeatable, and consistent. Both methods must be verified. The traditional method makes verification a pain in the ASS. That's the real difference in the two methods.

just my .02

Les
PLUS 1,000!!!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)