View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
Take this advice with a grain of salt....
I'm your basic bench racer home hobbyist welder, I have a Lincoln 175 which is similar to yours.
You should treat yourself to a small tank of 75% Argon 25% CO2 shielding gas which will be fine for most steels, it will run you around $100 at the local welding shop and will make your welds look a lot nicer and probably stronger too, you'll be surprised how long a small tank will last.
I recently welded some fairly thin stainless on an exhaust clamp, I bought a small roll of 308LSI .23" (.6mm) gas shielded wire and used the standard 75/25 gas, I didn't break for the special tri mix Helium / Argon / CO2, the welds turned out really nice.
As I recollect, the stainless needed a little more heat than standard steel, I'd set your power control on "C" and the wire feed on "5" for starters, try a small test weld and see how it goes, you may need to go up or down one notch on the power.
Good Luck.
Sound advice and will work but tri mix would be that much better again

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)