View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastredsc View Post
The beetle TDI i used to have did 45 mpg on HWY10 going to work constantly at 75mph no AC. This was measured using the trip odometer and top off method so it's accurate. It was also modded with larger injectors, chipped with more boost, and had a bigger clutch to handle all the extra torque. If it wasn't for the stupid expensive parts, the terrible build quality inside, and the use of proprietary fluids i would have kept it.
Side note, if you do buy a late model VW diesel, stay away from the PD diesels. They require a very expensive motor oil or they destroy camshafts, the 99-2003 TDI's use a standard diesel pump and don't have that problem. Also stay away from automatics, the manuals last a lifetime if you change there fluid but the autos are known to grenade and are 5k new not including labor. Lastly don't get the beetle chassis TDI, or when you try to repair the damn thing, the clearances under the hood are so tight you'll have a lot of new scares on your hands. The Jetta/Golf platform has lots more room.

My wife has an 04 TDI with the PD motor we averaged about 50 MpG traveling to NY at 75-80 MPH

Oil change with the correct spec oil and filter is only $50 every 10,000 miles and takes about 30 minutes of my time.

58,000 miles and the only problem we had was a faulty temp sender.

My brother has a 99 1/2 TDI with 180,000 miles and never left him stranded and has the original clutch.

www.tdiclub.com is a good resource.
05 Jetta GLI
Old 02-02-2008, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)