View Single Post
Driver

Garage
1. The driveway isn't the problem. It's the angle at which it meets the road/gutter that is. My stock US-height car scrapes either the muffler or nose tie-down hooks at every opportunity on my own, flat driveway. It's just the dip of the gutter that makes that happen. So I have to edge in the car at an angle to avoid that problem. Admittedly, I've never thought about the dry-sump issue. Then again, the car's always parked in a flat garage. My parking brake sucks. But, as you mentioned, it's out of proper adjustment. And, again, I park on a flat surface, so I've been too lazy to fix that.

2. Car runs fine when it's cold. But it takes a good 10 miles or more for these air-cooled motors to properly warm up. And, as you know, cold starts are the hardest time on a motor. I try not to take the car on short trips. And I don't dip into the turbo when the motor's cold. These really aren't short-trip cars. At least unless you're not concerned about longer-term longevity.

3. I don't think the motor even wakes up in 4th gear until about 90 mph. I'm trolling along (way out of the powerband) when I'm doing 70 mph in 4th. True highway economy mode. I'll have to go home to check on the exact rpms, though. I'm guessing somewhere in the 2500 range.

4. The car's surprisingly comfy on longer trips. When I bought my car, I drove it 600 or so miles home. A couple months later, I took it on a 1100-mile trip (over 2 days). Whether or not your particular car will be reliable enough for that will, of course, vary.

5. Feel free to post cars you come across on this board (Rennlist is pretty good, too). Definitely better to have many eyes--and some of them pretty experienced--looking at a potential purchase.

6. Do it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)