View Single Post

Garage
Parasitic Battery Drain Found! How to Fix?

I finally got my ammeter working again, thanks to a $0.59 fuse.

The base drain on my battery was reading 97mA on the 200mA scale.

I started testing the relays and the fuses one by one until the drain was found. Here are my findings:

The Relays
I pulled one by one, testing the drain on the battery with each removed. None pulled had ANY effect on the battery drain.

The Fuses
I pulled one by one, starting at #1 and heading down the list.
  • When the fuse for my amp and bass cannon was deleted, the drain fell to 81mA.
  • When the fuse controlling Central Locking Mechanism was deleted, the drain fell to 80mA.
  • When the fuse controlling Interior Lights, Cig Lighter, Tailgate was deleted, the drain fell to 60mA.

I have recently changed out my hatch struts with new ones. At first, the interior lights would not trigger correctly with the hatch open or closed. I had to adjust the contact point to hit at the precise time of closure so that the circuit would complete properly. The adjustment point I am referring to is located in the lower shock on the left in the following picture.

The trunk and dome lights operate properly with the hatch open and closed. My question is what is continuing to drain on this circuit? The starting issues (dead battery after sitting) occured shortly after I swapped the hatch shocks.

I have pulled the fuse and my interior lighting has stopped functioning. I assume the rear defrosters will no longer work either.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)