Thread: Bubbles???
View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
Just talked to my brother, he has experienced the same issue and it was moisture.

I've had to park the car outside for the last month, (which I have never done before), and leave it covered when not driving. As stated earlier, it gets driven several times a week, of at least 40 continuous miles, mostly highway and rural roads, very little stop and go. Then there are the monthly trips to FL (approx 500 miles). So, I am wondering if it is due to moisture from outside. I just can't remember if the bubbles started about the time it was moved outside, but very well could be.

The other thing I have done recently is to remove the factory air cleaner for a small round K&N, and I have just attached a small K&N to the rubber breather line that comes from the tank.

Just trying to think what all has recently changed.

Edit: I just searched the 911 side, and found several threads addressing this with some responses that this normal.

Tim
Hmmm, Interesting thread. A couple of thoughts here.

I've never seen moisture in oil do that.

The color of your oil looks a little strange to me, like toasted pecans or something. Is Amsoil colored strange? Just a thought. My oil is usually clear and hard to even see on the dipstick. Could this be combustion byproducts?

How long has the oil been in the motor?

Does the oil have a smell like fuel or exhaust smell?

Those bubbles look like air entrainment to me.

How quickly do the bubbles appear after an oil change?

Here's what would be interesting to me:

1) Change the oil and while it's draining, capture a Glass full in a clear glass.
2) Capture a glassful from the crankcase and the sump separately, set aside.
3) Load some more oil in it! :-)
4) Drive it and see how quick it bubbles.

In the meantime, observe your captured oil for separation. If it's water, it should settle to the bottom, I would think. If it's air, it should rise and pop on the surface. You could transfer some to a slender test tube to see if it layers easier.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)