View Single Post

IC tube, Wooosh, 1 bar spring, and performance intercooler

Hi guys,

I have an 87’ 930 where the engine, until recently, was bone stock. I just redid the full upper end along with new rod bearings, while adding a header system with dual outlets; a K27 turbo; a K&N airbox/filter; a new to me waste gate with straight pipe (instead of muffler); and a performance clutch and lightened flywheel.

I noticed that the bigger turbo’s port sits a little higher than the stock one, and as such, it raises the solid factory IC tube up which doesn’t allow the other end of the IC to seat fully square on the throttle body assembly. While the offset is only slight and it doesn’t appear to be leaking, I’m not 100% sure. Can you guys tell me with what you use to replace the factory turbo/IC tube to allow for the shortened distance between the turbo and IC?

While the engine is running pretty darn strong, I have noticed a very audible “Wooosh” coming from the rear of the car while accelerating between .6 bar and the max. of .8 bar. Could the wooosh be coming from the straight pipe of the waste gate that I’m not used to? Or possibly the problem in the last paragraph? Or do I have another turbo system pressure leak somewhere (FYI, the header system is solid and tight)?

Once this (problem?) is resolved, I was wondering if I could benefit from a 1 bar spring with my engines configuration?

Finally, I do have a full length, long neck intercooler that I have yet to put on the engine. Again, with the configuration of my engine, and possibly with the 1 bar spring, would my engine benefit appreciably by adding the bigger IC? FYI, I will probably have to reconfigure the AC to make the bigger IC fit, so this is a consideration.

Thanks very much for sharing your wisdom with me. I really appreciate it. Geoff
Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)