View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
If you open the spring can you will see the spring fly out with considerably more than 14lb compression force, The spring is holding about 120lb force from memory. Which is why you can't push it open. I have measured it by compressing in my press to normal can length, on bathroom scales. Depending on your spring - you are in the 120 lb region of compression pressure. A 1 bar spring would be near 150 lb, ie about the weight of a slim adult. You won't be pushing that open with your thumb.
Alan
Heh,
When I was younger and dealing with decompression sickness patients. A common test is grip strength. I usually could squeeze about 175# on the grip strength test that maxed out at 200#. Most strong folks were well under 100#. I used to squeeze those grip exercisers and break one every 2 weeks or so. Of course that was a long time ago!! I noticed on my TIAL with a 1 Bar spring that I didn't have a hope in hell of moving that valve with my thumb! I kinda did the 1 Bar/14.7# math in my head and figured there was some kinda fulcrum multiplier inside that wastegate.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)