View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypeoni View Post
With: Hastings Mutual Insurance
Car: 1979 930 50k miles (super nice turbo)
Value: Agreed value of 17k
Your age: 29
Coverage:
Bodily Injury 150k per person

I pay $620 a year which includes no towing

WOW, how are you guys getting agreed value at 30 and 40k?
I contacted Grundy and they sent a professional appraiser out. He was dead set on 17k. I was so pissed I paid him his $120 thee and told him to hit the road! I later talked to my mechanic about the problems I was having insuring the car. He said of his customers that owned 930s my car was in the upper echelon. But hes not surprised to hear that insurers were getting squirmy.
Are we getting Fuched by insurance?
Grundy wouldn't insure my car - they didn't consider it a collector or a classic.

Haggerty considered it an 'exotic' and would cover it as such. Again, the good thing about Haggerty is that the OWNER of the car decides the replacement value - you could tell them that your 930 is worth $500k, and I believe they'll do the policy (I didn't test $500k, but I did insure my slant for $75k with no hassels), as the premium is simply based on this replacement cost.

Haggerty did pay a windshield claim on my car after a bit of negotiation between the windshield replacement company and their claims person, so they may work out for some folks. I like to drive my car to work 1-2x a week (12mi each way - almost too short in that it barely gets to operating temp), and I wasn't willing to put my homestead at risk for the potential to collect more $ if it was burned up or stolen. FWIW, my annual Haggerty premium was about the same as the Geico rate I pay now (~$550).
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)