View Single Post

I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me says it's just a car (or vehicle, or whatever it is). Part of me thinks the whole thing is kind of sick.

"Register to discover the heritage that made Cayenne inevitable"?

Doesn't that sound like something that would come from the former Soviet Union's People's Committee To Promote New Things if it merged with a Madison Avenue ad firm? And then to sell the thing by invoking the memory of Porsche's off road rally cars is a perversion of Porsche's racing heritage.

It wouldn't be so bad if they called it something better than "Cayene" and didn't put so much effort into pushing it down our throats. It will probably be a well designed and enginered vehicle that has a lot going for it, considering what it was designed for. They may even be able to make it the first SUV that benefited from improvements developed on the race track. (Does Porsche have a racing program? Oops, wrong rant for the post.) But I agree that if the Cayene was so good, there wouldn't be so much hype over it. Porsche would just do a breif campaign to make it visible, a little brand enhancement tie-ins with the new Carrera, open it up to the reviewers and take the orders as they rolled in.

Oh, well. As I said, it's just a car. Or truck, or whatever.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)