View Single Post
Dixie Region R Gruppe

Garage
My 80 Sc Backdate Project

Instead of having 3 different posts, I figured I would put the progress of my project into one thread.
Here are the details so far.
I waited about 18 mos going back and forth about adding a second car as a project. I missed one IMO that would have been a killer deal and the desire was even more, something about having something you can not have.
Here it is the day it arrived.

This is what it resides next to.

This is a shot with the ducktail installed.

This is what it looks like as of this morning.

A little backstory on a couple of interesting things.
I did not do a PPI- figured I could tell about the body and I planned on rebuilding the engine anyway.

So when I test drive it the gas pedal did not seem to have much of a throw and the car did not accelerate as promptly as my 79 does.
I buy it drive it home and it rides very good has a rebuilt 915 in it so it shifts super smooth.
As soon as I get home I hop into my 79 and drive it and find out that the pedal throw in the 79 is much greater. After looking at the tranny and the pedal cluster I have my GF hit the throttle and watch the action at the TB. I watched the same thing in the 79 and it was obvious the throttle on the 80 was going about half way. Low and behold at some point the car had some work to the CIS system and upon reassembly someone used too long of a screw on the bracket that has the cruise control on it. I backed it out and got a correct length one and wow what a difference. Car now screams out of the hole.

I wonder if the previous owner had it like that the entire time and never knew.

So far we have done the following.
1. Removed AC and all components
2. Replaced rear bilstein shocks
3. Replaced rear deck with delete package.
4. Fixed drivers power window.
5. Lowered it.
6. Added the ducktail
7. Economy RSr finish- Thanks to Kaefer for selling the 8's!

When the parts come in next week we will be.
1. Installing new dash top
2. Backdating Heat
3. Recovering factory steering wheel
A shot of my helper during the AC removal

Been pretty fun so far. It only took 3 tries to get the rear height where I wanted it.

Let me know what you think.
Waiting on fenders and such to really dig in.

Thanks
Phil
1979 911 SC

Last edited by w21055; 02-19-2008 at 08:30 AM..
Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)